Monday, May 17, 2010

Jury Duty

So today was kind of crazy. I was called for jury duty and leading up to this date, I was hoping it would be cancelled, but it wasn't. I was really nervous Sunday, because I didn't know how long the duty would last. I could manage one, maybe two days off. But if this trial went to weeks on end, I would be screwed. No work means no money. And that is not a good thing for me. But, I hoped for the best.

I woke up this morning and I had bad dreams about jury duty all night and I had a really bad feeling when I woke up. I told Amy I was dreaming that I was watching the trial of an old man who was murdered. My dream had me pretty freaked out. But I went on with my daily routine. Had my coffee, kissed the family and headed out for what the day might bring.

After arriving at the courthouse I was placed in a large room with approximately 100 people. We were cattle herded from room to room, up elevators, down stairs, into single file lines, rinse and repeat all day long. Once we were finally allowed in the courtroom, I was made aware what the trial was for. The trial was for a murder of a 61 year old woman, by the defendant her 47 year old boyfriend. At first this was all I was made aware of. The entire day was spent watching the attourneys cover their X's and O's. They would constantly repeat themselves, asking if we had been arrested? have we been victim of a crime? do we know anyone there? do we know anyone here? And with each answer the attourney would follow up with, "Does this outcome create animosity or influence your opinions in any way". This went on for hours. They would ask the same question different ways. And it was amazing how many people were more than willing to begin talking about all of their owns problems. "I was arrested for 3 DUI's, plus a domestic battery" "I was suspected for molestation" "I was arrested for assault" etc... All the while I stayed quiet and did my best to blend in. I didn't want to stand out in any way, so I did not get selected for this.

Eventually, the defending attourneys had their time and they were laying it on thick..."Do you feel as though the defendant is innocent until proven guilty?" "Do you believe in proof of innocence?" "Are you able to follow the courts written guidelines for judging a case" "Due to the fact that the burden of proof is on the state, the defendant will not be testifying. Is this ok with you?" etc... Everyone agreed that they were ok with all that being was said. And then something about the way this murderer sat there and acted so smug really began bother me. He was so calm and relaxed. He was closing his eyes almost as if he was bored. He was leaning back in his chair. Stretching out as if he was tanning at the beach. Drinking beverages like he was on vacation. I couldn't stop staring at this guy. He had this derlect look as if he could care less that he was on trial for murder. Or that the person murdered was his girlfriend. Or even care that the person murdered was someone that he knew and was close to at one point in time.

I began to boil inside. Constantly staring at this guys black eyes. I couldn't help but develop this rage inside of me. Knowing that someone like this is out there, walking the streets caused this hatred to fester. Then all of a sudden, my silence and attempt to blend in...it went away. I raised my hand and stated that I disagree with what the defending attourney was saying. I explained that I understand the legal jargain, but I personally don't believe he is innocent until proven guilty. From where I am sitting, he is guilty until he proves his innocence. He is on trial for murder. I explained that if he is not willing to testify and defend himself, then that shows it's guilt. If I were wrongly accused of something, I would be chomping at the bit to explain my side of things. But instead, he was advised to say nothing. Their entire gameplan for this case was to plant the seed of doubt and hope for the best. After I explained my beliefs on the matter a few other people began to speak up and say they agreed with me. I don't think my response made the defending attourney very happy, but she thanked me for my honestly. And truly, from the get go, I couldn't get past the fact that this guy was a murdered and everyone in there knew it. I just didn't know the extent of it....yet.

A little while after our exchange, we were told to go back into the cattle line, wait downstairs and they would be with us in a bit. It was time to select their jury. While waiting in the jury room, I was very mad with this guy still and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get past it. I then began to google the names on my blackberry. I was able to find the article about this man and victim. The man was a 47 year old local. Dating a 61 year old local widow. One night she attempted breaking up with him. He broke into the dwelling with a screwdriver. After entering the dwelling, he stabbed the victim 22 times with the screwdriver. Then to top it all off. He proceeded to rob the victim and vandalize her dwelling. After reading this, I texted Amy and told her, I kind of want to be on this case now. Financially, this would not be in my best interest, but if I was selected it wasn't a big deal to me anymore. Moments later their selections were made and I wasn't one of them. I think my Guilty until proven Innocent statement may have got me bumped from this trial, but hopefully the point was driven home and this guy goes away for life. (I'd root for the death penalty, but in this trial it isn't being pursued.)

2 comments:

  1. what a crazy day... im sure glad you were not selected, have you seen that sandra bullock movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a creep... I am glad you weren't selected too... that trial could seriously go on forever!

    ReplyDelete